Contact us: getting started
Generally speaking, there are five steps in the process of applying for external funding.
1. Identify a funding source that is a good match for your project.
2. Write the proposal.
- Notify your OARS consultant of your intention to submit a proposal at least 10 working days* prior to the funding agency's submission deadline by creating a new record in eSPA (see below). You are encouraged to contact your OARS consultant much earlier than that when possible, especially if you haven't worked with OARS before.
- Review the guidelines in the RFP carefully; if necessary, contact your OARS consultant for help interpreting the guidelines.
- Contact your OARS consultant if you have any questions about Miami or agency procedures.
- Contact Research Compliance staff if you have any questions about research compliance requirements.
- Consider contacting the program officer or other agency contact to inquire whether your project is a good fit for their program.
- Visit our "Grant writing resources" page for proposal writing resources.
- Visit our "Proposal preparation resources" section for standard data and language often included in proposals.
3. Draft the budget.
- Think through your project carefully and identify what resources you will need to complete it.
- Ask for what you actually need to complete the project — no more and no less.
- Visit our "Budget resources" page for institutional information you may need to complete the budget, including fringe benefit and indirect cost rates.
- Submit a draft of the budget to your OARS consultant, who will help you develop the final budget and budget justification.
- Release the final approved budget to your OARS consultant in eSPA at least two working days* prior to the funding agency's submission deadline.
4. Open a new record in eSPA.
- At least ten working days* prior to the funding agency's submission deadline, login to eSPA and create a new proposal record by:
- Clicking on the Cayuse SP link;
- Clicking on Start New Proposal in the Proposal Dashboard;
- Filling in the requested information.
Visit our "eSPA" page for additional information and support.
- Complete the online new eSPA record decision tree questionnaire if you are requesting supplemental funding or a continuation.
5. Submit the proposal.
- In eSPA, release the final proposal -- including an approved budget -- to your OARS consultant for final review at least two working days* prior to the funding agency's submission deadline.
*Meeting specified deadlines makes you eligible to receive EPSI program incentives
Post-award accounting is handled by the Grants & Contracts office.