The third semi-annual KNH Nutrition Conference at Miami University Friday, March 23, focuses on food allergies. Current students in Miami's department of kinesiology and health and Miami alumni are among contributors to the all-day event.
KNH Nutrition Conference Schedule:
- 8-8:15 a.m. Nancy Parkinson, R.D. and faculty in kinesiology and health, and Taylor McCollum, a sophomore nutrition major will introduce the day.
- 8:15-9 a.m. Jennifer McLaughlin, Hoyt Career Services, will discuss behavioral interviewing and how to conduct a Skype interview.
- 9-10 a.m. Miami alumnus Kristen Lazaroff, R.D. will speak about the Nestle Corporation.
- 10-11 a.m. Miami alumnus Katherine Navarre, R.D. will discuss the evolution of the gluten free diet.
- 11 a.m.- 1 p.m. A food and nutrition expo will feature healthy appetizers, corporate participants, EHS student groups, and a food drive.
- 1-2:30 p.m. Meijer’s Corporation healthy living adviser and a Meijer pharmacist will discuss food allergies and drug nutrient interactions.
- 2:30-3:30 p.m. Miami alumna Laura Groseclose, a dietetic intern at Ohio State University;Emily Spurlin, chef; and Chelsea Rambo, a graduate student at Ohio University will be featured.
- 3:30-4:30 p.m. A student food allergy interest group will be conducted.
- 2:30-4:30 p.m. Food, health, and nutrition opportunities in graduate school and summer internships will be featured.
The conference is hosted by the department of kinesiology and health, the Student Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, and nutrition majors in KNH 103. Last semester, students in the KNH disease prevention management class began work for this conference as part of their final exam.
written by Melanie Henterly, intern