About Miami
Living at Miami
University Offices
General Bulletin 2008-2010

Courses of Instruction

General Information

This section of the Bulletin lists all courses offered at the university on all campuses. With each department or area, we give in parentheses the university's abbreviation and the division offering the courses—for example, ACCOUNTANCY (ACC-Business) means that ACC is the abbreviation for accountancy courses and they are offered by the Farmer School of Business.

Course offerings are listed online (www.bannerweb.muohio.edu) and in the Course Schedule booklet. The Course Schedule, published each year by the Registrar's office, contains important registration information.

Course descriptions are necessarily brief. For more information about a course, consult the instructor or the department.

Abbreviations and Terms

Note: A registration glossary is in the Registering for Courses chapter.

CAS-A, CAS-B, etc.: Course fulfills a part of that section(s) of the College of Arts and Science requirement. (Please see the College of Arts and Science chapter.) These are CAS requirement abbreviations in the course descriptions:

CAS-A: Foreign language
CAS-B: Humanities
CAS-B-LIT: Fulfills a part of the literature requirement of CAS-B.
CAS-C: Social science
CAS-D: Natural science
CAS-D/LAB: Fulfills laboratory requirement of CAS -D (LAB must be preceded by CAS-D/to fulfill the CAS lab requirement).
CAS-E: Formal reasoning.

Corequisite: Courses that must be taken during the same semester because their subject matter is similar or complementary. Corequisites are given at the end of course descriptions.

Credit/no-credit course: No grade is received for this course. You will get credit for a C or better; you do not get credit if your grade is lower. A credit/no-credit course is not figured in your g.p.a. You can only take one-fourth of your course work on credit/no-credit basis, and usually you cannot take courses in your major this way. As a freshman, you must register for at least 12 hours for a grade before taking a credit/no-credit course. After 20 percent of the class meetings, you cannot change from credit/no-credit to a letter grade or from a letter grade to credit/no-credit. See the Grades chapter for more detail.

Cross-listed course: Course where material taught crosses multiple disciplines. The course may or may not be offered by two or more departments during the same term.

g.p.a.: Grade point average. See the Grades chapter for more detail.

Lab: Laboratory.

Lec. Lab.: Lecture and laboratory; used to indicate how many credit hours are earned in lecture and/or in laboratory (for example, 3 Lec. 1 Lab.).

MP: Miami Plan for Liberal Education.

MPF: Miami Plan Foundation course. Course fulfills a part of the MPF requirement. (Please see the Miami Plan chapter.) These refer to the MPF courses outline:

I: English composition
IIA: Fine Arts
IIB: Humanities
IIC: Social Science
IIIA: United States cultures
IIIB: World cultures
IVA: Biological science
IVB: Physical science
V: Mathematics, formal reasoning, technology
H: Fulfills historical perspective requirement.
LAB: Fulfills laboratory course requirement for the Miami Plan; LAB must be preceded by IVA or IVB to fulfill the MPF natural science laboratory requirement.

MPT: Miami Plan Thematic Sequence course.

MPC: Miami Plan Capstone Experience course.

Offered infrequently: Courses may be offered every two or three years.

Prerequisite: Course(s) that must be taken to provide background for the course requiring the prerequisite. Sometimes permission of the instructor or another requirement (such as graduate standing) may be a prerequisite to a course.

Semester credit hour: Unit used to measure course work. The number of credit hours is usually based on the number of hours per week the class meets; for example, a three-hour course typically meets three times a week for 50 minutes each time. One credit hour is usually assigned for two or three hours in laboratory and studio courses.

Service course: Course designed by a department to serve the program requirements of another department or division. Choose a service course carefully. It may not meet the requirements for your department.

Sprint course: Course that meets for less than the full semester, usually in periods of five weeks, seven and a half weeks, or 10 weeks.

Summer only: Offered in the summer only.

Course Numbering System

000-099: Developmental courses, generally not creditable toward a degree.

100-199: Introductory courses, usually with no prerequisites.

200-299: Sophomore level courses.

300-399: Junior level courses.

400-499: Senior level courses.

500-850: Graduate level courses. On occasion, a senior may take 500- and 600-level courses for graduate credit with permission (described in the Registering for Courses chapter). Seniors who wish to earn undergraduate credit in a 600-level course must have approval of the course instructor, department chair, and dean of the Graduate School.

Course numbers at two levels (such as 433/533) may be taken either for undergraduate or graduate credit. Graduate students must complete additional work to receive graduate credit.

Course numbers separated by a comma (such as 233, 234) are related. You may take one of the series and they may be taken in any order (unless otherwise indicated in the course description).

Course numbers separated by a hyphen (such as 233-234) must be taken in numerical order and both must be taken to receive credit for graduation.

Special Course Numbers

100: Each department in the College of Arts and Science can offer a seminar numbered 100, cross-listed with at least two departments. This course number is reserved especially to allow students and faculty a chance to learn how different disciplines deal with the same problem. The 100 course has one or two semester hours of credit; you cannot receive more than four semester hours credit for all courses numbered 100. These courses may not be offered every year.

300: This course, Special Topics, is offered according to student request together with instructor permission. It carries one to three semester hours of credit; you cannot receive more than six semester hours of credit for this course.

Independent Study

177, 277, 377, and 477: These courses are independent study for undergraduate students. You can register for one to five hours of independent study each semester (no more than 10 per year). Registration for each course is in accordance with the level of instruction. Independent study projects must be approved by the instructor and the department chair.

340: This course is extended independent study and/or internship. It can be worth up to 20 semester hours of credit depending on the agreement between student and instructor. All extended independent studies must be approved by the instructor, department chair, and dean.


199, 299, 399, 499, 599, and 699: These courses are workshops or similar offerings. Workshops must go through an approval process each year.

Semester Credit Hours

Semester credit hours are indicated in parentheses following the course title; for example, 282 Art and Politics (3). Some courses carry variable credit, a range of credit hours for courses such as independent study, special topics, thesis hours, etc. The maximum number of hours you can earn in the course may also be indicated, for example,
(3; maximum 6).

Frequency of Offerings

Information on frequency of offerings is provided to assist you in advance planning. These are normative patterns for program scheduling and are subject to change without notice based on student demand and other programmatic priorities.

General Bulletin Home | Search | Top | Miami University Main Page